Insurance Complaint

Before you proceed:

While the Commissioner can help with most insurance questions and problem, please note that there are certain actions the Commissioner cannot take on your behalf. The CSI has limited authority to help with certain plans. If the Commissioner cannot resolve your complaint, you may be referred to someone who can.

The Commissioner cannot:

  • Act as your legal representative or give you legal advice;
  • Intervene in a pending lawsuit, on your behalf;
  • Consult with you if you are represented by an attorney unless we have your attorney’s written permission;
  • Recommend an insurance company, producer or policy;
  • Identify an another person's insurance company;
  • Resolve a dispute between you and your insurance agent or company when the only evidence is your word against the word of the producer or company;
  • Make medical judgments;
  • Determine the value of damaged or stolen property or conclude who was at fault for an accident;
  • Establish the facts surrounding a claim (such as who is being truthful when there are differing accounts of what happened);
  • Investigate an insurance complaint filed by a medical service provider, contractor, auto repair shop or any other outside party without the written authorization of the consumer; or
  • Address plans that the Commission has no regulatory authority over, including MMIA (Montana Municipal Insurance Authority) and rental car agencies.

Plans over which the Commissioner's office has no authority

NOTE: If the Commissioner's office does not have authority over your complaint, you will be referred to the proper authority. If you have questions about the types of complaints the Commissioner has the authority to resolve, please call 800-332-6148.

  • Federal employees’ health plan and life insurance
    Call: 1-202-606-1800
  • Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D
    Call: 1-800-633-4227
  • Medicaid
    Call: 1-800-362-8312
  • State Fund workers compensation
    Call: (406) 444-1574
  • Worker's compensation claims disputes
    Call: (406) 444-1574
  • Self-funded employee health benefit plans
    Call: 1-866-444-3272
  • State-sponsored, self-insured health plan for teachers and state employees
    Call: (406) 444-7462
  • Any self-insured governmental plans
    Call your employer

FOR SELF-FUNDED HEALTH PLANS: The Commissioner's office can assist consumers with appeals of denied health insurance claims. Read the Commissioner's guide to internal appeals and external review for more information. If you have questions about appealing a denied claim, please call the Commissioner's office at 800-332-6148.

Questions? Call 1-800-332-6148