Consumer Information

Industry Information


Commissioner's Corner

Office of the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
840 Helena Ave.
Helena, Montana 59601

(800) 332-6148
(406) 444-2040

(406) 444-3497
(406) 444-3413

(406) 444-3426

Continuing Education
Resident Continuing Education Requirements

All resident insurance producers, adjusters, consultants and non-resident adjusters who live in a state with no continuing education requirement,  licensed in Montana must complete and file the continuing education requirements by the license lapse/renew by date that appears on individual insurance producer, adjuster, consultant and surplus lines licenses.  

Persons licensed as a producer for any of the lines of property, casualty, surety or title, life, health, disability, limited lines or personal lines insurance, or as an adjuster or consultant  must complete 24 approved credit hours by the license lapse/renewal date.

Persons licensed to sell only the line of limited lines credit insurance (credit life and credit disability, IUI, GAP or other credit insurance) or only the line of surety, must complete 5 approved credit hours of courses in: credit life and credit disability insurance, ethics, surety bail bonds and/or insurance law by the license lapse/renew by date.  

Every licensee must include a minimum of 1 approved credit hour of legislative changes in Montana insurance statutes and administrative rules as part of each biennial continuing education filing. Beginning with biennial continuing education filings due 1/1/12, every licensee must include a minimum of 3 approved credit hours of ethics as part of each biennial filing.

Viatical settlement brokers must complete continuing education in the subjects of life insurance, viaticals and/or ethics.

Please note: resident licenses do not need to be renewed, but continuing education credits need to be filed to keep your license valid. 

  • Resident licensees who are licensed in reciprocal states may comply with those states' continuing education requirement by meeting Montana's requirements and then filing the appropriate forms for that state. List of Reciprocal States.

Other Helpful Information:

  • Licensees must file prior to the lapse date on the individual insurance producer license.
  • Montana resident licensees who do not file continuing education compliance on or before the license lapse/renew by date licensure will be lapsed.